Ambler Farm is set on twenty-two acres of rolling fields complete with stone walls and breathtaking views. There are several buildings and gardens on the property.
Built circa 1799 by Josiah Raymond
The project now underway represents the final phase of a master plan for Ambler Farm drawn up in 1999, following the purchase of the property by the Town of Wilton. It is key to accomplishing the mission set out by the deed of sale – to dedicate the entire property (land and buildings) to the “preservation of the agricultural heritage of the Town of Wilton.”
The farmhouse served as the home for the Raymond and Ambler families for nearly 200 years. The deed calls for it to be restored in a way that preserves its architectural character and makes it safe for use by the community. Over the last few decades, this historic structure had deteriorated significantly due to deferred maintenance. When exploratory demolition began in Fall 2008, interesting items turned up including several old shoes and pieces of clothing under the attic floorboards, as well as signatures of various carpenters who had worked on the house.
By December 2010, structural repairs and stabilization of the front section of the house had been completed. Interior pieces were catalogued and stored for future use. Due to funding constraints at the time, structural repairs to the rear section of the house were not completed. Renovation resumed in November 2012 after the Friends of Ambler Farm (FoAF) matched the first of two Town commitments of $125,000 apiece, as approved by Wilton voters. Click here to see photos of current restoration work.
To complete the restoration, the FoAF seeks to raise an additional $375,000 in funds from public and private sector grants and from donations made by the community, to match an equal amount that we hope to receive from the Town of Wilton over the next three years.
Once complete, the farmhouse will be home to a variety of educational programs, activities and events — for children and adults — that celebrate the past, present and future of our community.
Built in 1880 by George Taylor
Built in 1899 by George Taylor
The red dairy barn has been partially renovated. As funds are available, it is planned to renovate the original Ambler house and complete the red dairy barn.
Built circa 1800 by Josiah Raymond
Ambler’s Property + Program Manager currently resides in the renovated Yellow House with his family.
Smaller buildings include the Corn Crib (1904) and Ice House (1900). Three buildings were torn down after the town acquired the farm because they were too far gone to be saved – a sheep pen, a pig barn, and a farm workers’ cottage.
The 1.2-acre garden in the West Field was completed in 2008, complete with fencing and well for irrigation. Ambler Apprentices and Mr. Meehan maintain the Educational Gardens close to the Yellow House.